After writing my rant I did a little checking on prices of texts in other
fields and without any systematic data gathering, my impression was that
Psychology students are getting hammered by higher prices than others. Are
there studies to show this?

What you are suggesting about sharing powerpoints, augmenting them yourself,
etc. is fundamentally a wiki project. The power in such a system is access and
editing by anyone and everyone.

The technology exists. There is Wikipedia/Wikibooks, ToPIX, etc. All of these
are designed to facilitate creation and sharing, but there is not a lot to
facilitate packaging (Wikibooks and a new eBooks initiative on TeachPsych.org
may do the trick).

After my rant last night I decided that I'm going to email all my students with
options for them to use earlier editions this Fall (starts in one week). It is
the next thing I do after writing this email.

There is no time like the present to do something about this travesty.

Paul Bernhardt

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=4349
or send a blank email to
leave-4349-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu