I just sent out the emails to my students in the relevant classes. By allowing
them to purchase the previous editions of these books, they can save $90 in one
class and $100 in the other class, if they choose.  The savings I indicate are
based on the best price I could find (not exhaustively researched) for the new
edition compared to the old edition. Based on the price the bookstore is
charging, I've given them the opportunity to save about $140 in each class. It
will be interesting to see how many take advantage of the option.

I like some of the ideas being mentioned here: Using a minimal textbook and
supplementing, telling the reps that you have had it with grotesque prices. I
hope that flatworldknowledge creates a competitive and useful option. Other low
cost publishers have produced books that I found startlingly poor in content
(e.g., some from Atomic Dog). I hope flatworldknowledge does better.

The arc of prices heading upward feels like the health care industry, and there
is nobody who has a greater influence on the system than us. We pick the book.
The student has little choice once picked, so they have no influence. The
publishers know that many faculty don't pay a whit of attention to the price,
and their motivation is exactly in opposition to lower prices. So, some of the
solution, I think, needs to be educating faculty about the prices of the books
they pick. I'd like to think that some would make greater efforts to lower the
prices by making different selections and allowing options.

Paul

Paul C Bernhardt
Frostburg State University
Frostburg, MD, USA