Allen Esterson writes:

"I don't know what the situation is in the States, but the notion that
violent people will very likely have had an abusive childhood is
frequently expressed in the media in the UK."

It's the same here in the States, Allen. The first thing people generally
say about an abuser is that "he/she was probably abused as a kid too." I
address this notion in my classes all the time:  That while the abuser might
have been abused himself/herself as a child, it can also be the case that an
an adult who was abused says, "I will *never* do to a child what was done to
me."

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University