Apparantly Hermann Goering claimed that it was very easy to control
the public (and he should know)...just call a person unpatriotic.
It still works today. Just call people who differ in opinion racist,
or islamohphobic or homophobic, and there you go--you have control.

I also think there could be much to worry about if a competing
ideology isn't afraid to use violent coercion and can use democracy to
vote in sympathetic leaders during its weak beginnings.

The fact that there has not been a vehement condemnation of terrorism
across the entire Muslim world and all of its leadership could be
telling.

Although, unlike James, I think the reason that Western society has
'evolved' beyond barbarism (at least institutionally) and enshrines
human rights and freedoms is not in spite of Christianity, but a major
part of that development is because of it.

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=4752
or send a blank email to
leave-4752-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu