I like Michael's comments on basic human fear and how this perhaps
underlying, unspoken affect finds expression in protest action and can
be exploited by those who sense its presence and want publicity.  Just
think in the last few months about the protests in and about
Arizona-treatment of not just immigrants, the ground zero building
placement issue, burning the Koran, let alone the  earlier and
continuing tea party phenomenon.  In California we have had repeated
protests about police brutality (no protests re public fights and knife
carrying) and the appalling City of Bell financial happenings.

Why didn't we have protests re the proposal of war in Iraq and/or
Afghanistan (that certainly blew the federal financial budget or)
protests re the quiet marketing of financial packages of sub-prime
mortgages i.e., Goldman Sachs?  Were these just at quiet times in our
history and people experienced no fear of change or sense of financial
threat?

So, why protests:  so much, this year?

Don't mean to make complexities simplistic or maybe I do...

Joann Jelly