From: Allen Esterson [allenester...@compuserve.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:22 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re:[tips] Are Genes Left-Wing?

Rick Froman writes in appreciation of Mike Palij's quotations from
Oliver James's article in The Guardian "Why genes are leftwing":

>Good point. The media is widely known for their
>right wing proclivities.

Hey! We don't all live in the States!

The most influential medium in the UK, the BBC, is hardly "right wing".
And while the popular national press is predominantly right-wing, there
is also a strong centrist and left-wing presence.

>Just in case that might not be true, I think it might
>be more productive to look for reasons that both
>the right and the left might fear finding that human
>behavior is largely determined by environment.

Wouldn't it be more productive to spend the time checking out the
evidence itself?

Alternatively, may I suggest that, if are inclined to follow up your
own suggestion, you might also look at the reasons why (predominantly)
many on the Left might fear finding that genetic predispositions play a
substantial role in human behaviour. (You could start with Oliver
James. :-) )

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

--------------------
Good point. The media is widely known for their right wing
proclivities.

Just in case that might not be true, I think it might be more
productive to look
for reasons that both the right and the left might fear finding that
human
behavior is largely determined by environment.

Rick

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: rfro...@jbu.edu.
To unsubscribe click here: