From: Mike Palij [m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:24 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Mike Palij
Subject: Re:[tips] Are Genes Left-Wing?

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 02:22:47 -0700, Allen Esterson wrote:
>Rick Froman writes in appreciation of Mike Palij's quotations from
>Oliver James's article in The Guardian "Why genes are leftwing":
>
>>Good point. The media is widely known for their
>>right wing proclivities.
>
>Hey! We don't all live in the States!
>
>The most influential medium in the UK, the BBC, is hardly "right wing".
>And while the popular national press is predominantly right-wing, there
>is also a strong centrist and left-wing presence.

First, I want to thank Allen for providing background on Oliver
James.  I had gotten a pointer to the article from another list that I'm
on and was not familiar with his background (though I had looked briefly
on the Guardian website for some background on James but I did
not find anything; I would have searched more but I was taking a
break from Yankees-Rangers League Championship game #1 when
they were still down 5 runs before their AMAZING comeback to
win the game -- GO YANKEES! ;-)

>>Just in case that might not be true, I think it might
>>be more productive to look for reasons that both
>>the right and the left might fear finding that human
>>behavior is largely determined by environment.
>
>Wouldn't it be more productive to spend the time checking out the
>evidence itself?

Indeed, but considering that I posted this late on a Friday evening,
one might be forgiven for not being more engaged in fact
checking (especially with a Yankee game on ;-).  It should be
noted that James does not refer to psychoanalysis at all in the
article, instead he focuses on research on the human genome,
the editorial in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry,
and related sources that argue that "It's The Environment, Stupid!",
the research by Anita Thapar which has been used to calim that
there is a genetic basis to ADHD but examination of her results
appear to suggest that only 16% of the children in her sample
had genetic characteristics that she claimed served as the basis
for ADHA, and so on.  Though I am sure that Allen's depiction
of James as an all-round intellectual badguy is valid, Allen
did not address the specific points in James article.

>Alternatively, may I suggest that, if are inclined to follow up your
>own suggestion, you might also look at the reasons why (predominantly)
>many on the Left might fear finding that genetic predispositions play a
>substantial role in human behaviour. (You could start with Oliver
>James. :-) )

Well, that one is easy, both historically and philosophically though
James did allude to some of the reasons towards the end of his article,
namely, that genes imply, at least popularly, that certain characteristics
of individuals are immutable and unchangable and that individuals with
such "traditional" genetic defects as "stupidity", "reluctance to work",
etc. (extra points to anyone who can explain "draptomania" without
checking out the Wikipedia entry on it here:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomania  ), will require individuals
with "superior genetics" to take care of them -- one of the issues that
Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein tackled in their right-wing
"The Bell Curve". Quoting from the Wikipedia entry on "The Bell
Curve" (yada-yada):

|Its central argument is that intelligence is a better predictor of many
|factors including financial income, job performance, unwanted pregnancy,
|and crime than parents' socioeconomic status or education level. Also,
|the book argues that those with high intelligence, the "cognitive elite",
|are becoming separated from those of average and below-average
|intelligence and that this is a dangerous social trend. Most of the
|controversy concerns Chapters 13 and 14, in which the authors wrote
|about racial differences in intelligence and discuss the implications of
|those differences. The authors were reported throughout the popular
|press as arguing that these IQ differences are genetic, and they did
|indeed write in chapter 13: "It seems highly likely to us that both genes
|and the environment have something to do with racial differences."
|The introduction to the chapter more cautiously states, "The debate
|about whether and how much genes and environment have to do with
|ethnic differences remains unresolved."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

So, while Oliver James may claim that genes account for a tiny amount
of behavioral characteristics (say, 1%), Murray and Herrnstein would
argue that certain characteristics, such as "intelligence" as reflected by
a "general intelligence factor" or "g" has, say, 40-80% of its variability
accounted for by genetic factors.  I'll leave it to the interested reader
to locate the APA Task Force on Intelligence Report on the "The Bell
Curve" and what it states.  The nickle version is available here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence:_Knowns_and_Unknowns
(Hint:  there's a link to the report at the end of the entry)

This wouldn't be much of an issue if one assumed that the environment
could overcome genetic influences -- one would then be focused on
how to structure environments in order to overcome the genetic influences.
But if one believes that environments can't overcome such genetic influences,
then the best one can do is control the "genetic defectives" so that they have
minimal opportunities to disrupt society and stay out of the way of the
"genetic superiors".   It's an old story, perhaps told most interetingly by
Huxley in his "Brace New World" or in a more scholarly fashion by
Danial Kevles in his "In the Name of Eugenics", and we have some sense
as to how that can end up.  Right-wingers tend to worry about social
control (policy implications:  build more prisons, arrest more people,
associate civil rights with being weak on crime, etc.) while left-wingers
tend to worry about changing the environment and increasing opportunities
(e.g., imporving health care, educational systems, etc.).

Of course, there are variaous perspectives on the nature-nurture
debate as well as on gene-environment interactions that may make
certain behavioral categories worse or better.  But I've got an AL LCS
game 2 to prepare for, so I'll leave this for someone else to explore. ;-)

You are currently subscribed to tips as: rfro...@jbu.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13039.37a56d458b5e856d05bcfb3322db5f8a&n=T&l=tips&o=5727
or send a blank email to