What I usually find uncomfortable is that people use "research" to
support their personal views.

For example, Michal Britt finds that he's ok with the research that
finds homosexuality is not a mental illness.
This is clearly not what research shows since it can show nothing of the kind.

Another is the implication that we should be teaching students to heavily
consider research before making up their minds on an issue.
This is a monsterous implication and presumption.
Far more important is what their parents and friends think about it,
what religion says about it,
what literature and the arts say about it, and what their own feelings
and beliefs say about it.

Another one is thinking that somehow the personal beliefs of an
instructor are important.
They simply are not.
It can only be hoped that students already know this. Of course, if they
are in my classes then they will.

Lastly I'll mention the lip service paid to the "scientific attitude".
Exemplified in treating research results as if they actually were conclusive.
If one were to actually live as we try to foist on students, then all
one could say would be:

"Homosexuality may not be a mental illness, we just don't know for sure.
Indeed, all of the results of psychological research is like that.
That is, anything you learn in class is tentative and incomplete. In the end,
you will just have to make up your own mind about an issue."

Hopefully, we would be responsible people and add, "Please make
sure you take several courses in the Humanities so that you get a
more balanced and realistic view of life."

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6797
or send a blank email to
leave-6797-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu