Hi

Scott's observation about lesser negative impact of spanking in cultures where
it is more common (blacks, Kenya, India) than in cultures where it is less
common (e.g., whites, China, Thailand) is interesting, but perhaps not the only
consequence of spanking that might be important.  Might cultures with greater
acceptance of spanking (and presumably other "mild" forms of physical
punishment) also be more likely to promote more severe forms of punishment
(i.e., these are not so distant from the norm, easier to distinguish spanking
vs not spanking than mild vs harsh spanking, ...)?  I was prompted to think of
this by the finding that consanguinous marriages (usually cousins) do not have
marked effects on recessive disorders WHEN PRACTICE IS RARE (as in west) but do
have marked effects when practice is widespread (as in some middle eastern
countries and other groups) because of the increased negative consequences when
successive generations have many individuals who are in and/or the product of
consanguinous relationships.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Lilienfeld, Scott O" <slil...@emory.edu> 30-Nov-10 10:37 AM >>>
Re: Stephen B's comment, "interestingly, I do not recall ever finding a
psychology textbook which suggested that there were grounds to question the
alleged consensus against spanking."

At the risk of engaging in shameless self-(co)promotion, see the second edition
of our intro textbook (Lilienfeld, Lynn, Namy, & Woolf, 2010):

     Yet we must remember that these studies [linking spanking to antisocial
behavior in children] are correlational and don't demonstrate causality [INSERT
CORRELATION-CAUSATION FLAG]. Other interpretations are possible. For example,
because children share half of their genes with each parent, and because
aggression is partly heritable (Krueger, Hicks, & McGue, 2001), the correlation
between parents' physical aggression and their children's aggression may be due
to the fact that parents who are physically aggressive pass on this genetic
predisposition to their children (DiLalla & Gottesman, 1991; Lynch et al.,
2006). It's also conceivable that the causal arrow is reversed: Aggressive
children may be difficult to control and therefore evoke physical abuse from
their parents. This hypothesis doesn't in any way excuse physical abuse or
imply that it's acceptable, but it may help to explain why it occurs. In
addition, it's possible that mild levels of punishment are effective, but that
severe forms of punishment, including abuse, aren't (Baumrind, Larazelere, &
Cowan, 1992; Lynch et al., 2006).

     Making matters more complicated, the association between physical
punishment and childhood behavior problems may depend on race and culture.
Spanking and other forms of physical discipline are correlated positively with
childhood behavior problems in Caucasian families, but correlated negatively in
African American families (Lansford et al., 2004). Moreover, spanking tends to
be more predictive of higher levels of childhood aggression and anxiety in
countries in which spanking is rare, like China or Thailand, than in countries
in which it's common, like Kenya or India (Lansford et al., 2005). The reasons
for this difference aren't clear, although children who are spanked in
countries in which spanking is more culturally accepted may feel less
stigmatized than children in countries in which it's culturally condemned.

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Professor
Editor, Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice
Department of Psychology, Room 473 Psychology and Interdisciplinary Sciences
(PAIS)
Emory University
36 Eagle Row
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
slil...@emory.edu
(404) 727-1125

Psychology Today Blog:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-skeptical-psychologist

50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-140513111X.html

Scientific American Mind: Facts and Fictions in Mental Health Column:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/sciammind/

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his work and
his play,
his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his
recreation,
his love and his intellectual passions.  He hardly knows which is which.
He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him - he is always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text
  (slightly modified)