Didn't read the link but isn't McGaugh the physio guy into something like this? One hypothesis I have on this is that people are keen to have good memories if there is a common cognitive theme in their selective life approaches and do not have too many clutter in their consciousness.I think that I have a very good memory-probably a consequence of early conditioning in rote memorization under the British system.I can still remember some lines from Henry Y from Form 1V.
Michael
----- Original Message ----- From: <sbl...@ubishops.ca> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2011 2:44 PM
Subject: [tips] Minds of Mnemonists

I've been meaning to recommend this remarkable recent segment on the
the USA TV programme "60 Minutes". It concerns a small group of
adults who have what is being called, with understatement, "superior
autobiographical memory". The segment is called "The Gift of Endless
Memory" and it's at  http://tinyurl.com/2594p8z (videos and
trascript).

The researcher involved is the eminent James McGaugh, professor of
neurobiology at the University of California Irvine. Their apparently
effortless ability to remember life events (calendar dates and what
happened on them) is astounding, rivaling that of autistic
calculators (which these people are not). And the memories have been
documented.

As a bonus, the 60 Minutes interviewer, Lesley Stahl, was able to add
to McGaugh's small group of such people her friend, the actress
Marilu Henner, fondly remembered by many for her work in the sitcom
"Taxi" which ran between 1978 and 1983.  She's pretty good, too (in
memory, as in sit-com).

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus