Rick Stevens writes:
>Neisser's *Memory Observed* has a selection from
>Luria's book and a bit on a mnemonist who had a
>different, but amazingly good, memory. It makes
>an interesting contrast since the second mnemonist
>seems to have come to his abilities through (uggh!)
>practice and hard work, not some genetic abnormality.

The introductory paragraph to the chapter in question (by Earl Hunt and
Tom Love) says that the subject VP's "performance on tests of memory
seem to be as good as S's" (S being Luria's subject). But this is
belied by a comparison of the results obtained in the two cases. For
instance, the authors report that using Hebb's test of short-term
memory and learning capacity, VP recalled correctly 18 percent of
nonrepeating strings of 25 digits and 63% percent of repeating strings.
This is greatly superior to the test results of controls, and justify
the authors conclusion from all their tests that they were "dealing
with a man with a superior memory". But S's memory feats (including
recalling on such tests with one hundred percent accuracy many years
late) were in a totally different category (and, of course, were for
the most part completely spontaneous – he couldn't not remember just
about everything that happened in his life).

I haven't looked closely at the people in the documentary cited by
Stephen, but again their memory feats (without any deliberate efforts
to memorise) seem to be of a different order to VP's:
http://tinyurl.com/2594p8z

In VP's case he was able to train himself to recall things that
produced results far superior to controls. In the case of S, his
ability for recall was nothing short of phenomenal, far beyond anything
recorded in the chapter by Hunt and Earl.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Re: [tips] Minds of Mnemonists
Rick Stevens
Sun, 02 Jan 2011 07:34:24 -0800
I often read some of the descriptions of synesthesia (to pure tones)
from
the *Mind of the Mnemonist *in class.  Neisser's *Memory Observed* has a
selection from Luria's book and a bit on a mnemonist who had a
different,
but amazingly good, memory.  It makes an interesting contrast since the
second mnemonist seems to have come to his abilities through (uggh!)
practice and hard work, not some genetic abnormality.

Rick Stevens
Psychology Department
University of Louisiana at Monroe
stevens.r...@gmail.com