I thought it was of particular interest that none of the subjects
interviewed had ever been married, except for Marilu Henner, who had been
married three times.  The point was made that perhaps not being able to
forget (arguments, hurt feelings, etc.) may make a long-term relationship
more difficult.

So perhaps my deeply flawed memory may get some credit for my husband's and
my recent celebration of our 42nd anniversary?

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Annette Taylor <tay...@sandiego.edu> wrote:

> What I recall, and it may be a false memory, is that Luria's subject (S)
> was vastly bothered by his inability to turn off his superior memory--that
> so many memories competed constantly for retrieval that this was difficult
> for him to manage.
>
> On the other hand, based on the 60 minutes piece, each of the people
> interviewed said that it did not bother them and tht they found a way to
> compartmentalize their vast autobiographical memories. Of note, in some of
> the retrievals clearly it was NOT merely autobiographical as they were able
> to recall many semantic memory type details of events and not just their own
> personal connection to the events.
>
> I thought this was an interesting discrepancy and I wonder how much of S's
> perceptions, which were only his, versus McGaugh's group's
> perceptions reflect the influence of the group members influencing one
> another. Clearly some people in the group (Henner in particular) were more
> outspoken during the taped television segments.
>
> Annette
>
>  Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego