> No one has really addressed my question as to why any classically conditioned
> stimulus could not be viewed as a  placebo (or nocebo).

I think no one has answered this because it is essentially correct.  Classical
conditioning is a likely mechanism for the placebo effect.  Robert Ader gave a
talk at the Pavlovian Society Meeting a couple of years back showing that the
immune system in rats could be classically conditioned to respond to a CS via
pairings with an immuno-suppressent drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12615187

In humans, there are other plausible mechanisms involving cognitive
expectations, but those certainly wouldn't rule out a role for classical
conditioning.

So - I think the answer is "yes".  Placebo's work because a taking a little
pill is so often associated with effective drugs.  The more pills we take, the
larger the placebo effect will become.  Perhaps we are already seeing evidence
of this.

Mike

-------
Michael A Burman Ph.D.