Michael Smith wrote: I think this is incorrect. The original question was "why
any classically conditioned stimulus could not be viewed as a  placebo". The
original question was not about the mechanism of placebos (Michael Burman's
response) or some of the other issues raised by Rick and Claudia, interesting
though they may be."

Fair enough.  If the question is whether all classical conditioning should be
viewed as identical to the placebo effect, then the answer is no.  Classical
conditioning is too broad.   If the question is whether the placebo effect can
be viewed as a special case of classical conditioning, then I think the answer
is clearly yes.  To the extent that one stimulus (a US; drug) coincides with
and is predicted by another (the CS; stimulus properties of a pill) we see a
novel response being learned.  This has the requisite properties of classical
conditioning (contiguity and contingency between two stimuli).

By the way, I think your example needs some clarification.  In the eyeblink
paradigm, a tone is paired with a puff of air to the eye.  The tone then
produces a blink on it's own.  Thus, the tone is the stimulus comparable to the
placebo pill in a drug situation.  Moreover, blinking to a tone that predicts
an insult to the eye is clearly a beneficial response in any sense.

Mike Burman

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7652
or send a blank email to
leave-7652-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu