Michael Burman wrote:
"I think no one has answered this because it is essentially correct.
Classical conditioning is a likely mechanism for the placebo effect.
Robert Ader gave a talk at the Pavlovian Society Meeting a couple of
years back showing that the immune system in rats could be classically
conditioned to respond to a CS via pairings with an immuno-suppressent
drug."

I think this is incorrect.

The original question was
"why any classically conditioned stimulus could not be viewed as a  placebo"

The original question was not about the mechanism of placebos (Michael
Burman's response) or some of the other issues raised by Rick and
Claudia, interesting though they may be.

In the traditional conditioned eye-blink response the stimulus is a puff of air.
Now, could a puff of air be conditioned to produce a placebo effect
(i.e. physically or psychologically beneficial response)?
I suppose it's "possible", but I think unlikely.

Not every pairing can be learned with equal efficacy and some
presumably cannot be learned at all.
(For example, a feeling of increased well-being is unlikely to be
induced by severe electrical shock).

Hence my original response highlighted the beneficial aspect of the
placebo effect, and not every stimulus capable of inducing a
classically conditioned response would result in a placebo effect.

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7650
or send a blank email to
leave-7650-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu