On 2012-08-14, at 10:11 AM, Michael Palij wrote:

> There a few papers causing a lot of discussion among researchers on the
> question of whether (a) humans and Neanderthals interbreed or (b) did
> not interbreed but date back to a common ancestor long ago.  What is
> also interesting is the role that peer review and the length it takes for
> scientific papers to get published.  There are a variety of sources on this
> but this article highlights the role of peer review and publication lag; see:
> http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/08/mating-with-neanderthals-is-off-again-on-again/

I love the sleight of hand implicit in the turn of phrase, "what our ancestors
may or may not have done with Neanderthals" (at the end of the first
paragraph). If ancient sapiens were "doing it" with Neanderthals, then the
Neaderthals are every bit as much "our ancestors" as the sapiens are.

Chris
---
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology