Hi, Chris--

An example of the complexity of the science.
Most of the current articles don't seem to talk about percent overlap.

Nature.
2012 Jun 28;486(7404):527-31.
The bonobo genome compared with the chimpanzee and human genomes.

Pr=FCfer K
, Munch K, Hellmann I, Akagi K, Miller JR, Walenz B, Koren S, Sutton G, =
Kodira C, Winer R, Knight JR, Mullikin JC, Meader SJ, Ponting CP, Lunter =
G, Higashino S, Hobolth A, Dutheil J, Karako=E7 E, Alkan C, Sajjadian S, =
Catacchio CR, Ventura M, Marques-Bonet T, Eichler EE, Andr=E9 C, Atencia =
R, Mugisha L, Junhold J, Patterson N, Siebauer M, Good JM, Fischer A, =
Ptak SE, Lachmann M, Symer DE, Mailund T, Schierup MH, Andr=E9s AM, =
Kelso J, P=E4=E4bo S.
Source

Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, D-04103 Leipzig, =
Germany. prue...@eva.mpg.de

Abstract

Two African apes are the closest living relatives of humans: the =
chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) and the bonobo (Pan paniscus). Although =
they are similar in many respects, bonobos and chimpanzees differ =
strikingly in key social and sexual behaviours, and for some of these =
traits they show more similarity with humans than with each other. Here =
we report the sequencing and assembly of the bonobo genome to study its =
evolutionary relationship with the chimpanzee and human genomes. We find =
that more than three per cent of the human genome is more closely =
related to either the bonobo or the chimpanzee genome than these are to =
each other. These regions allow various aspects of the ancestry of the =
two ape species to be reconstructed. In addition, many of the regions =
that overlap genes may eventually help us understand the genetic basis =
of phenotypes that humans share with one of the two apes to the =
exclusion of the other.

On Aug 14, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Christopher Green wrote:

> On 2012-08-14, at 11:25 AM, Paul Brandon wrote:

>>> I love the sleight of hand implicit in the turn of phrase, "what our
>>> ancestors may or may not have done with Neanderthals" (at the end of the
>>> first paragraph). If ancient sapiens were "doing it" with Neanderthals,
>>> then the Neaderthals are every bit as much "our ancestors" as the sapiens
>>> are.
>>

>> 4% genetic overlap, I believe.
>>

> Depends on how you count, Paul. Since we have something like a 99% genetic
> overlap with chimps, I'm guessing our genetic overlap with Neanderthals
> probably covers pretty close to 99% (96%, if you prefer) of the remaining 1%.

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato
pkbra...@hickorytech.net