On Aug 16, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D. wrote:

> all I can say is this: estimating genetic similarities/differences is
> complex, and it will "hurt your brain real bad" once you start trying to
> figure it out. :-)

So of course, I've spent the rest of the day hurting my brain. I doubt that
many of you want a detailed description of the complexities (and I'm not sure I
can give a coherent description anyways); so I decided to provide some
references along with their abstracts (in chronological order) so you can scan
them if you wish. I chose papers from 2001 to 2005 because these were often
cited in later papers, and also because they provide what I was looking for:
some details about the various ways of estimating the degree of genetic
divergence among related species.

1. Chen, F-C, & Li, W-H (2001). Genomic divergences between humans and other
hominoids and the effective population size of the common ancestor of humans
and chimpanzees. American Journal of Human Genetics, 68, 444-456. Available
online at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1235277/pdf/AJHGv68p444.pdf
Abstract
To study the genomic divergences among hominoids and to estimate the effective
population size of the common ancestor of humans and chimpanzees, we selected
53 autosomal intergenic nonrepetitive DNA segments from the human genome and
sequenced them in a human, a chimpanzee, a gorilla, and an orangutan. The
average sequence divergence was only 1.24% ± 0.07% for the human-chimpanzee
pair, 1.62% 􏰂 0.08% for the human-gorilla pair, and 1.63% ± 0.08% for the
chimpanzee-gorilla pair.... The average sequence divergences between orangutans
and humans, chimpanzees, and gorillas were 3.08% ± 0.11%, 3.12% ± 0.11%, and
3.09% ± 0.11%,..... The sequence divergences in other regions between hominoids
were estimated ... and Alus showed the highest divergence, followed in order by
Y-linked noncoding regions, pseudogenes, autosomal intergenic regions, X-linked
noncoding regions, synonymous sites, introns, and nonsynonymous sites....

2. Britten, R. J. (2002). Divergence between samples of chimpanzee and human
DNA sequences is 5%, counting indels. Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences, 99 (21), 13633–13635. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086%2F406830
Abstract
Five chimpanzee bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) sequences (described in
GenBank) have been compared with the best match-ing regions of the human genome
sequence to assay the amount and kind of DNA divergence. The conclusion is the
old saw that we share 98.5% of our DNA sequence with chimpanzee is probably in
error. For this sample, a better estimate would be that 95% of the base pairs
are exactly shared between chimpanzee and human DNA. In this sample of 779 kb,
the divergence due to base substitution is 1.4%, and there is an additional
3.4% difference due to the presence of indels. The gaps in alignment are
present in about equal amounts in the chimp and human sequences. They occur
equally in repeated and nonrepeated sequences...

3. The Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium (2005). Initial sequence
of the chimpanzee genome and comparison with the human genome. Nature, 437,
69-87. doi:10.1038/
Abstract
Here we present a draft genome sequence of the common chimpanzee (Pan
troglodytes). Through comparison with the human genome, we have generated a
largely complete catalogue of the genetic differences that have accumulated
since the human and chimpanzee species diverged from our common ancestor,
constituting approximately thirty-five million single-nucleotide changes, five
million insertion/deletion events, and various chromosomal rearrangements. We
use this catalogue to explore the magnitude and regional variation of
mutational forces shaping these two genomes, and the strength of positive and
negative selection acting on their genes. In particular, we find that the
patterns of evolution in human and chimpanzee protein-coding genes are highly
correlated and dominated by the fixation of neutral and slightly deleterious
alleles. We also use the chimpanzee genome as an outgroup to investigate human
population genetics and identify signatures of selective sweeps in recent human
evolution.

4. Cheng, Z., Ventura, M., She1, X., Khaitovich, P., Graves, T., Osoegawa, K.,
et al. (2005). A genome-wide comparison of recent chimpanzee and human
segmental duplications. Nature, 437, 88-93. doi:10.1038/nature04000
We present a global comparison of differences in content of segmental
duplication between human and chimpanzee, and determine that 33% of human
duplications (>94% sequence identity) are not duplicated in chimpanzee,
including some human disease-causing duplications. Combining experimental and
computational approaches, we estimate a genomic duplication rate of 4–5
megabases per million years since divergence. These changes have resulted in
gene expression differences between the species. In terms of numbers of base
pairs affected, we determine that de novo duplication has contributed most
significantly to differences between the species, followed by deletion of
ancestral duplications. Post- speciation gene conversion accounts for less than
10% of recent segmental duplication. Chimpanzee-specific hyperexpansion (>100
copies) of particular segments of DNA have resulted in marked quantitative
differences and alterations in the genome landscape between chimpanzee and
human. Almost all of the most extreme differences relate to changes in
chromosome structure, including the emergence of African great ape subterminal
heterochromatin. Nevertheless, base per base, large segmental duplication
events have had a greater impact (2.7%) in altering the genomic landscape of
these two species than single-base-pair substitution (1.2%).

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
SCC: Professor of Psychology
MCCCD: General Studies Faculty Representative
PSY 101 Website: http://sccpsy101.wordpress.com/
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626