Part of the problem is that Elementary Education is the last haven for college
math phobes.
I remember the Dean of the School of Education (the biggest producer of
teachers in Minnesota) asking that his students be excused from the
institutional mathematics requirement.

On Sep 29, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Ken Steele wrote:

> On 9/28/2012 5:43 PM, Wuensch, Karl L wrote:
>> Now one of my teaching assistants has discovered why.  Given
>> two numbers, these students are unable to identify which is
>> smaller.  No, I am not kidding.  Yes, this involves numbers
>> between 0 and 1.  My TA spend half an hour trying to teach
>> them how to tell which is the smaller of two numbers, without
>> great success.
>>
>> Karl W.
>
> I have seen the same problem in other contexts, specifically teaching the
> Rescorla-Wagner model and identifying sensitivity using Weber's law.
>
> These students can't pick out the smaller fraction if asked to choose among
> 0.20, 0.04, and 0.008.  The questions are straight-forward.  Which CS will
> show quicker conditioning? Which sense is more sensitive to noticing change.
>
> Ken

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato