I hate to say this, but thank you.

I have often wondered why so many students would be baffled by the decision
process. [if p<.05, reject the null hypothesis]. It seems so easy… but, if you
are not comfortable with the numbers between 0.00 and 1.00, then it is a real
problem.

Compound that with the fact that, in general, test statistic values go up as
their associated p-values go down and you have now put them in contrasting
information territory. That is, thinking I'm clarifying things with my graphs
and sketches of distributions and shading of rejection regions showing how
bigger t-values are associated with smaller p-values, it seems likely they get
confused by the two ways of making the decision: greater than critical value,
or less than alpha… I can see I'll be rethinking some lectures next semester.

Paul

On Sep 28, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Wuensch, Karl L wrote:

          Nope -- my TA would put two numbers up on the board, like .05 and
.032, and ask them, in words, which is lower – or he would put one number up,
like .046, and ask whether it was less than or more than .05.

Cheers,
<image001.jpg><http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm>