On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:31:01 -0700, Karl LWuensch wrote:
>        No, but if asked which is smaller, 9.7% or 10%, some would have
>trouble.

Not to be overly skeptical, but I'd like to see some data on this.
Do you do the traditional frequency tables in your course?  Going
from freq to freq/N to (freq/N)*100?  If so, can they construct
such frequency tables by hand?

>Several of these students told me they expect to get a doctorate in
>clinical psychology and earn over $100K annually after they do.  They may well
>end up working for Verizon.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9LZ3ojnxY

I've seen this before.  But you'd have to admit that there should be a
difference between someone in a mind-numbing call service job and
an undergraduate.  And though I like to bash would-be clinicians
with overly optimistic evaluations of their future careers, I do
remember that both Jack Cohen and Peter Bentler got their Ph.D.
in clinical psych (Jack at NYU, Bentler at Stanford).  So, not
all clinicians (would be and otherwise) are completely numerically
challenged.

Seriously, I would collect some data on this.  Could be comparable
to Gigerenzer's point on using simple frequencies versus probabilities
in things like the baserate problem.