Hi

I do think there are places where qualifiers to significant (or statistically
significant) are appropriate.  An effect that has p = .002 is quite different
in my mind than p = .048, and "highly significant" vs "significant" would
appear to capture that.  Indeed isn't that the logic behind APA's
recommendation to report specific p values?  And to say that an effect is
"marginally significant" or "approached significance" for p = .055 strikes me
as appropriate especially when you know the test has weak power (e.g., tests of
interactions that do not conform to X pattern) and you plan follow-up analyses
(e.g., planned contrasts for main effects, simple effects or partitioning
interaction).  I'm not sure that we give a very realistic impression about the
nature of statistics striving to adhere strictly to the mathematical
preciseness of the tests under ideal conditions.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> Marc Carter <marc.car...@bakeru.edu> 22-Apr-13 1:03 PM >>>
Hi, All --

A poll:

Am I being too picky about the use of the phrase, "highly significant" (or
something similar) when it's used to describe a very low-probability result?
It sort of drives me crazy; all I can hear is my graduate math stats teacher
threatening to kill us if we ever said something like that.  I still read it in
papers and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

But perhaps I should just chill out?

What do you think?

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Behavioral and Health Sciences
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University
--

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=25137