Or, consider a general definition of "liberal" -

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/liberal

Cheers,
[Karl L. Wuensch]<http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm>
From: Deborah S Briihl [mailto:dbri...@valdosta.edu]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 9:56 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Psychology and Politics

Well, let's look at a general definition (I just grabbed this off a dictionary
site)
Social conservatives tend to be against abortion, gay marriage, embryonic stem
cell research, physician assisted suicide, gun control and affirmative action
and for prayer in public schools, capital punishment and supporting Israel.

If you look at the stance that our flagship organization (APA) and several
other psych organizations hold that go against many of these ideas, then yes.
As to individuals, I don't know. How many of these issues do you need to not
support in order to be liberal? I know several of my colleagues who support
some of these social conservative ideas.

Deb
Deborah Briihl
Dept of psych and counseling
Valdosta state university
dbri...@valdosta.edu<mailto:dbri...@valdosta.edu>
 ,Sent from my iPad

After reading articles like this one:

"...90.6 percent of social and personality psychologists describe themselves as
liberal on social issues (compared with 3.9 percent who describe themselves as
conservative), and 63.2 percent describe themselves as liberal on economic
issues (compared with 10.3 percent who describe themselves as conservative)."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jarryd-willis/polarized-psychology-is-science-devalued-in-a-divided-society_b_4839207.html

one of my Psych Files facebook members asks, "Are most psychologists liberal?
Does the liberal mindset affect the way Psychology is understood and even
taught?".  Good questions.  Are we all mostly liberal?

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com<mailto:mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: @mbritt