Most conservatives I know are strong believers in the "pull yourself up by your
own bootstraps" idea.  Which is a fine idea, but I'm going to guess that one
reason psychologists are probably liberal-leaners is that we often assist
people who simply don't have the mental/emotional resources to "pull themselves
up".  Along with social workers, it's often our job to make sure that social
service exist to help people like this.  Conservatives, if I have this right,
prefer less government intervention.

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: @mbritt

On Mar 1, 2014, at 7:46 PM, Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael alerted me back channel that not many from TIPS have responded.  I
> think this is an interesting bit of news:  i.e., are psychology profs more
> likely to be liberal or conservative.
>
> What say you, colleagues?
>
> I'm quite liberal.  Anyone else willing to admit to one side or the other?
>
> Beth Benoit
> Plymouth State University
> Plymouth, New Hampshire
>

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
> wrote:
>

> After reading articles like this one:
>
> "...90.6 percent of social and personality psychologists describe themselves
> as liberal on social issues (compared with 3.9 percent who describe
> themselves as conservative), and 63.2 percent describe themselves as liberal
> on economic issues (compared with 10.3 percent who describe themselves as
> conservative)."
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jarryd-willis/polarized-psychology-is-science-devalued-in-a-divided-society_b_4839207.html
>
> one of my Psych Files facebook members asks, "Are most psychologists liberal?
>  Does the liberal mindset affect the way Psychology is understood and even
> taught?".  Good questions.  Are we all mostly liberal?
>
> Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
> mich...@thepsychfiles.com
> http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
> Twitter: @mbritt
>
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=35019
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-35019-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: michael.br...@thepsychfiles.com.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13405.0125141592fa9ededc665c55d9958f69&n=T&l=tips&o=35036
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-35036-13405.0125141592fa9ededc665c55d9958...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=35041
or send a blank email to