Karl Marx made a bet that workers of all (industrialized) nations were going to
find that they had more in common with each other than they did with the ruling
classes of their own countries, and that they would band together across
languages and cultures to bring down a system that (he believed) was
systematically stacked against their interests. He was wrong about that. It
turned out that it was much easier to seduce workers with the siren song of
nationalism and, in the process, turn them against workers of other countries
than it was to persuade them to take up an international proletarian cause. The
result, among other things, was a series of nationalistic wars, great and
small, throughout the 20th century (which, sadly, show little sign of abating
in the 21st).

Where Marx might have gotten it right, however, is with academics. Though small
in number and mostly politically inept, academics, as a group, probably
communicate internationally more frequently than any occupational class in the
world. Even most politicians and business people (think state and city level,
and your local corner store and restaurant) probably don't have as much regular
international contact. As a result (I hypothesize) American academics more
closely resemble their academic counterparts in other countries (of similar
economic status) than they do Americans as a whole. Because the American
political spectrum is skewed so far to the right compared to that of other
similar countries (England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Netherlands,
Scandinavia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.), American academics tend to
look "liberal" in the American political context, but they are actually quite
centrist in the "advanced economy" global political context. Although social
scientists (incl. psychologists) are a bit more "left" than "hard" scientists,
even physicists, chemists, biologists, etc. tend to be to the left of what
passes for the "center" in the US.

Economists, I think, are the grand exception because, unlike nearly every
field, business and political interests will pay large numbers of economists
large amounts of money to say things with apparent authority that favor those
interests. (To be clear. I don't think this is *entirely* mercenary. I think
that if you're a person who leans that way already, money will make it much
easier to lean farther and harder, and do it in public.) You don't see this
option made available to psychologists, sociologists, and anthropologists to
nearly the same degree, though, if you did, I bet you would see similar
phenomenon. You already see it a bit with a few biologists and climate
scientists in the fights over evolution and global warming.)

Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University