>From a paper that a student and I presented at EPA a few years  ago:

Abstract
We compared the academic performance of students who took regularly scheduled
exams with that of students who took make-up exams. Students who had taken
make-up exams scored significantly lower on those exams and earned lower course
grades than students who had taken the regularly-scheduled exams. The results
suggest that having a make-up exam policy does not give a significant advantage
to students who use it.

Miguel
From: Jeffry Ricker [jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 4:39 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] The season of the deceased grandparent

Hi all,

I have required proof of the death of a family member for a long time now. I do
this because, years ago, a student told me that he had missed a test in my
class because his grandmother had died; and then several weeks later, in
another instructor's class, he missed a test because (he told the instructor)
that grandmother died! Apparently, she rose from the dead after the first
funeral, only to die a short time later. The poor lady!

Caron, Whitbourne, & Halgin (1992) looked at fraudulent versus "legitimate"
excuse-making, and found no difference in the frequency of these among college
students. One difference they did find, however, "is the greater number of
fraudulent excuses claiming that there was a family emergency" (p. 91). On the
other hand, legitimate excuses were more likely than fraudulent ones to involve
the death of a grandparent. Go figure.

I seem to remember another paper, mentioned on TIPS a long time ago, showing
that grandparents are more likely to die just before test days. Is this a false
memory?

Best,
Jeff

Reference
Caron, M. D., Whitbourne, S. K., & Halgin, R. P. (1992). Fraudulent excuse
making among college students. Teaching of Psychology, 19, 90-93

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Beth Benoit
<beth.ben...@gmail.com<mailto:beth.ben...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Claudia and others,
I didn't receive Nancy Melucci's initial post either, but read it at the bottom
of Tim's reply.  I don't recall this happening before, so hope it's just a
quirk.  Or maybe that's what happened to two previous posts of mine that got no
replies?
Beth Benoit
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Claudia Stanny
<csta...@uwf.edu<mailto:csta...@uwf.edu>> wrote:

Nancy,

Given your institution's policies, you had no choice but to drop her if she did
not show up. I expect she had the same experience in multiple classes if she
was out of town for a funeral, which probably adds to her stress but should
send her a clear message that this is what happens at this institution.

Now if yours was the only class she missed and was dropped from, that raises a
new set of questions, doesn't it? If she were out of town, wouldn't she have
missed multiple classes?  Just asking. . . .

I think you were most kind and generous to offer to reinstate her. But I know
how rigid the rules about attendance can be at two-year institutions. I learned
recently that in Florida, students who miss more than a certain number of
classes must be withdrawn by the instructor, even if the student is doing well
in the class. Something about the regulations related to financial aid awards
at 2-year schools.  (The four-year schools don't have this policy, so it came
as quite a surprise to me when this matter came up in a faculty development
activity that involved multiple people from 2-year schools.)

Perhaps if you had reinforced the message that this was not entirely your
decision by telling her you would attempt to get her reinstated, assuming you
could persuade the registrar or whoever to accept her documentation, you might
have gotten a less hostile response. (And it would have saved you some
additional grief if your attempts to reinstate her hit a bureaucratic wall.)
But I wouldn't guarantee that!  :-)

Claudia

BTW

Anyone else on TIPS not getting all of the messages?
I received Tim's response but never saw Nancy's question. I even looked in my
spam filter. And no, I do not have a special filter set for Nancy!  :-)

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355<tel:%28850%29%20857-6355> (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu<mailto:csta...@uwf.edu>

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/offices/cutla/<http://uwf.edu/cutla/>
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Tim Shearon
<tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu<mailto:tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>> wrote:

Nancy
Short version- you are doing the right thing and it’s her environmental factors
and lack of self-reflection that lead to her response. (I.e., it’s her – not
you)

Long version:  I’ve had exactly the same thing happen – even getting abuse from
a parent for being “heartless in their time of need”. My syllabus stated that
if you must miss you MUST notify me at the earliest possible time (she waited a
week and a half). And it clearly stated that if you have to miss an exam due to
an emergency you will not be allowed to make it up if you wait past the day of
the exam to notify me- for any reason. Because I believed her but was trying to
remain fair to the other students, I emailed her that she could give me a name
and town and I’d be happy to just look it up in lieu of actually asking her to
print the obituary out. She replied that I was being cruel. I did not take the
bait but explained that I was being fair to the others and going beyond the
syllabus to accommodate her. That’s when her dad emailed and voice mailed me to
tell me what a cad I was and “how would you feel”? Still didn’t defend myself
but called him to explain the situation. He finally said, “I guess we all get a
bit testy at these times.” Grief. Assuming she’s being honest and not
deflecting at being pushed to defend an untruth, I think you are being fair and
she’s grieving but not reflecting on her behavior enough to recognize that her
emotions come largely from that and not from you. You are, I think, being fair
with her.
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor, Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu<mailto:tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems