Oliver Sacks continues to inspire and present a brave and beautiful
attitude toward life.  Interesting contrast in this week's *The Week*,
quoting from a boohooing GQ interview with Nick Nolte:

"Nick Nolte has found getting old to be a painful experience, said Davy
Rothbart in *GQ.*  "I cry every day," says the actor, 74.  "It's nothing
tragic or anything - it's just life.  I cry when I try to get out of bed,
because I'm in my 70s and my body hurts like hell.  Once my joints are
moving, I'm all right, but those are my first tears in the morning."
 Nolte's acute sense of mortality is reinforced every time an old friend
dies.  "That'll always bring on a good cry..."  But Nolte says that perhaps
the most painful consequence of growing old is seeing your children become
involved in their own lives and slowly drift away.  "My son is 28.  We've
had a close relationship all my life, but now that he's gotten married and
had his own family, he's much more secretive.  He'll say, 'That's none of
your business, Dad.  Leave me alone.'  And that's a sad one - letting go of
your children...."

After reading the above I concluded that Sacks is a good example of ego
integrity in Erikson's final psychosocial stage, while Nolte might be a
pretty good example of the failure of it:  despair.

Beth Benoit
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Lilienfeld, Scott O <slil...@emory.edu>
wrote:

>  Sad news about Oliver Sacks; I had not known this.
>

> http://mindhacks.com/2015/02/19/oliver-sacks-now-i-am-face-to-face-with-dying/
>

> ……Scott
>

> Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
>
> Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor
>
> Department of Psychology
>
> Emory University
>
> Atlanta, Georgia 30322
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=42137
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-42137-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=42138
or send a blank email to