I also read the entire interview given by Nolte and I didn't see evidence
of despair or lack of ego integrity either. Yes, he openly discusses the
difficulties that have come his way as he ages, such as those infernal
aches and pains, losing friends to illnesses and coming to terms with a
less close relationship with his son who now has his own family.  But are
not those the realities most people face as they age? On the other hand,
his anecdote about attending his 50th HS reunion was sweetly amusing and
upbeat.  As he said, at first you don't recognize anyone but the
connections are still there and, naturally, he discovers he still was in
love with his HS sweetheart.

I feel Nick Nolte is remarkably authentic for a "Hollywood" actor.  We
simply aren't accustomed to hearing a man express himself with such
candor; i.e. he can cry everyday and he can laugh everyday.  To me, this
is someone who is sharing with amazing frankness how he is in touch with
the sadness as well as the goodness of life on a daily basis.  That's not
despair but a honest expression of an emotional reality.  And he certainly
is still deeply engaged in what life has to offer. Have many of us will be
starring in a film along side Robert Redford when in our 70's? Just BTW, I
would highly recommend a small jewel of a film Nolte starred in titled
"Off the Black:"

"Off the Black" is a coming-of-age story of teenager Dave Tibbel (Morgan)
who copes with his own distant father (Timothy Hutton) by forming an
unlikely friendship with a disheveled, irascible high school umpire, Ray
Cooke (Nolte). As they grow more dependent on each other, Ray asks Dave to
go to his 40th high school reunion and pretend to be his son, a benevolent
act of deception that winds up opening unexpected dimensions in the two
men.

Read more: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/off_the_black/#ixzz3SF0szUyh

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu