Sad news but then he had recently made a statement in the Times (don't we
all) that the medication that had provided him a rejuvenating remission
was over and his deep fatigue from his cancer had settled back in. I plan
to read On The Move but still would be interested in why this particular
book 'dispelled you of his saint-like image' Carol?

It's also intriguing to consider why he decided to include in what he knew
would be his last book stories that would dispel any notion that he was
this selfless, heroic man. Maybe Sacks knew that the cracks in his armor
would inevitably be revealed so why not do such himself.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

> Dear TIPSters,
> I heard this morning that Oliver Sacks died yesterday. I think I mentioned
> that his most recent book, On The Move, was on my summer reading list. I
> read it early this summer and found it fascinating. It certainly changed
> my
> image of him--not for better, and certainly not for worse, simply more
> realistic. I've always held him in my mind as a sort of like Santa Claus,
> with a twinkling, charismatic smile. I had him on a pedestal, and his book
> dispelled me of any thoughts that he was a saint. He was, however, a
> brilliant man, and his loss will be felt. I'm glad he finally found the
> love he was looking for.
> Carol
>

> --
> Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.