From: Christopher Green [mailto:chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:11 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Peer review video

Miguel,

That is an interesting video, and it would probably be useful to undergraduates
who don't yet quite know what a peer-reviewed scientific journal is. However,
the narrator is about a decade behind the times when it comes to the prominence
and importance of "open" journals these days. It is an issue - a series of
issues - that is becoming more complicated by the week.

Not only are there lots of prominent, respectable "open" (e.g., author-pays)
journals now (all the versions of PLoS and, perhaps more controversially, the
Frontiers series). A lot of the government research funding agencies have begun
to bend to the argument that, if the public paid for the research (through
government grants) then the public has a right to read it as well. (There are
all kinds of problem with this argument, but it is getting traction where it
matters - at the Cabinet table.) As a result, funding agencies across Europe
(and in Canada) are beginning to insist that research supported by gov't funds
be published in an "open" journal, or at least in a journal that will open a
certain length of time after publication (e.g., 6 months, 1 year). Indeed, if
you submit a paper to an APA journal now, there is a box asking whether your
research was supported by a list of major international government funding
agencies and, if you say "yes," APA will not allow you to submit your work,
because APA never makes its publications "open." (Some "traditional" journals
now allow the author to pay an additional fee in order to make the publication
"open," but I don't think APA journals are among them... yet.)

Best,
Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada
43.773895°, -79.503670°

chri...@yorku.ca<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>
http://www.yorku.ca/christo
orcid.org/0000-0002-6027-6709

On Jul 25, 2017, at 8:00 AM, Miguel Roig