I really liked the commercial advance feature, I believe the networks had the 
spots marked so 
that the local station could insert the local ads. I wonder if this will still 
work with the new 
digital broadcasting?
Rob


On 3 Feb 2009 at 11:23, Brian Hartsfield wrote:

> I remember having a VCR one thing that did attempt to handle commercials,
> but I think they got sued.  They took the idea that during commercials you
> have a full black screen at 30-60 seconds intervals and that is uncommon
> during shows so it would record the show then go back through the tape and
> mark the black screens and then when you watched it later it would auto-FF
> through the commercials.  It actually worked pretty well for most things.
>  Biggest problems were shows that were dark like X-Files and sometimes it
> would get confused between the "dark and stormy night" and the commercials
> however overall I was very pleased with it.  It is a shame that political
> realities make it impossible to do stuff like that.   Even TiVo has to
> "hide" the 30-second skip button to avoid problems.
> --
> Brian Hartsfield  CCNA, CCDA
> AIM: kd4aej                                     Twitter: Krandor1
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=705369381
> Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brianhartsfield
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM, tomsalwasser <[email protected]>wrote:
> 
> > I hear you Brian. What's technically simple may be politically
> > impossible. In the mean time I'll have to take your advice to add
> > some time to my timers after sporting events.
> >
> > I hope I can get the office on hulu. Thanks Glen!
> >
> > --- In [email protected], Brian Hartsfield <b...@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > I doubt you will see that anytime soon.  The broadcast industry
> > has no good
> > > reason to try to help DVRs.  in fact, they go out of their way
> > many times to
> > > try to mess them up.  I remember when I tried to record the pilot
> > for lie to
> > > me, they had it starting at 9:03 running for an hour and 3 minutes
> > and so it
> > > overlapped with some of the 10pm shows... and i really think one
> > reason for
> > > that was so that things were not easy for DVRs.
> > > --
> > > Brian Hartsfield  CCNA, CCDA
> > > AIM: kd4aej                                     Twitter: Krandor1
> > > Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=705369381
> > > Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brianhartsfield
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
> 
> 


Reply via email to