>I think your subject line sums it up perfectly, you only have one input.

Glen's got it right.  Using an S2 with a cable box will only give you one 
tuner, regardless of whether the S2 box (like yours) is capable of recording 
two at once.  You're only giving it one signal from that one box, and thus 
can only record that one program.

Another point to consider is some boxes have power saving features.  Those 
tend to conflict with the Tivo.  The box turns itself off and the Tivo then 
loses the picture.  The Tivo can't turn the box back on again.  The solution 
is to disable the power save feature in the box.

The simpler route is to stop using the box and upgrade to a Tivo HD with a 
single M-type cablecard.  This is what I did with my FIOS setup.  I tried 
using my S2 Tivo with a Motorola FIOS box.  I gave up after about a week of 
missed programs.  The moto boxes are just not reliable, by themselves or as 
a source for the Tivo.

By moving to the Tivo HD and cablecards you lose only one feature, Video on 
Demand.  That's only possible (at the current time) with the FIOS boxes.  I 
never had VOD before so I don't miss what I never had.

> The dual tuner is only for analog RF input, formerly from antenna or now
> only from cable input or similar RF coax input.  I think you could have 
> two
> inputs, one from A/V, one through the RF coax, but you would need two FIOS
> boxes, and even then I don't think Tivo would have a way to control the 
> two
> boxes separately (only one IR blaster or serial cable, right?).

Since it's not an HD capable box you can no longer use an antenna for over 
the air programs.  I don't know if the S2 boxes support controlling an 
external HD tuner or not.

Bear in mind that the Tivo HD boxes can still output regular video for older 
TVs.  I've got a Tivo HD hooked up to an older 32" television, connected via 
S-video cable.  It even down-converts HD stations for the TV.  So I get all 
of the benefits of HD programming without having to toss out the old TV.

At some point it's just easier to upgrade to a Tivo HD (the refurbs ones are 
cheaper).  That's what I did.

-Bill Kearney 



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tivocentral/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tivocentral/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to