On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, MegaZone wrote:
> You can connect the Firewire port to a Firewire port on a PC, you're not
> going to fry anything, it is standard. You can capture *unprotected* video
> from the cable box on the PC, given the right software. But any channels
> that as protected will be encrypted with 5C aka DTCP, so no joy with those.
Right. I had a Motorola cable box from RCN until recently and I could
plug my Macbook Pro into it and use the firewire developers kit (which is
free from Apple) I was able to record video as it played on the box. Plug
the model number into Google and see what it says.
> The eSATA port is for an external drive, just like TiVo - it may or may not
> be enabled by your provider. The USB port is 'for future use', and doesn't
> currently do anything useful to my knowledge. (Might provide power, so you
> could charge something from it I suppose.)
In my case the USB ports are enabled so I used one to power a mini USB
cable for charging phones, game controllers, etc. I never tried the eSATA
port myself but my brother did and his worked as expected.
> The real difference is in the software, the default software on the Mot DVRs
> is very weak, especially compared to TiVo. And it is really just a basic
> DVR, none of TiVo's broadband-type features, or anything advance.
Hands down. Some cable companies, including RCN, have just signed deals
with TiVo so that either the cable companies will distribute, rent or
resell TiVo boxes or at least the cable boxes they supply will be running
TiVo's software. (TiVoOS?)
-Jason
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
- Albert Einstein