On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 22 March 2017 at 11:09, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
> > Couldn't you just use the maximum expansion you support (which
> > ought to be 16 for TLS 1.3).
>
> That leads to the same problem that we're trying to avoid, namely that
> your usable space goes through the floor.

I'm not quite sure I'm following. In the extension we say "You can send up
to X bytes"
and X can either be expressed in plaintext or ciphertext bytes. If we
express it
in ciphertext, then senders can totally safely marshall up to X - E_max
bytes of plaintext
where E_max is the maximum expansion of any cipher suite they support.

The maximum amount of wastage in this case is E_max - E_min where E_min is
the minimum amount of expansion of any cipher suite they support. If E_min
== E_max,
then this is fine (because you can just advertise X + E_max to hit a target
of X).

What am I missing?

-Ekr