On Fri, Jun 5, 2020, at 03:54, Russ Housley wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
> > Changing:
> >  TLS 1.3 does not permit the server to send a CertificateRequest
> >  message when a PSK is being used. This restriction is removed when
> >  the "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" extension is negotiated, allowing
> >  certificate-based authentication for both the client and the
> >  server. To: TLS 1.3 does not permit the server to send a
> >  CertificateRequest message when a PSK is being used. This restriction
> >  is removed when the "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" extension is
> >  negotiated, allowing certificate-based authentication for both the
> >  client and the server.
> >
> > To:
> >  TLS 1.3 does not permit the server to send a CertificateRequest
> >  message when a PSK is being used. This restriction is removed when
> >  the "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" extension is negotiated, allowing
> >  certificate-based authentication for both the client and the
> >  server. To: TLS 1.3 does not permit the server to send a
> >  CertificateRequest message when a PSK is being used. This
> >  restriction is removed for the main handshake when the
> >  "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" extension is negotiated, allowing
> >  certificate-based authentication for both the client and the
> >  server. This extension has no impact on external PSK usage
> >  with post-handshake authentication, which is prohibited by
> >  TLS 1.3.

I see four copies of nearly the same text here, I just want to confirm that it
is this last one that we are talking about:

> TLS 1.3 does not permit the server to send a CertificateRequest message when
> a PSK is being used. This restriction is removed for the main handshake when
> the "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" extension is negotiated, allowing
> certificate-based authentication for both the client and the server. This
> extension has no impact on external PSK usage with post-handshake
> authentication, which is prohibited by TLS 1.3.

> This works for me. I wonder if "initial handshake" would be better than
> "main handshake"

"initial" or "main" both add confusion here, I would strike the qualification.
In TLS, there is only one handshake.

If you want to talk about use of a resumption PSK in this context, then maybe
add another sentence that highlights the fact that a resumption PSK that is
created from a connection that uses "tls_cert_with_extern_psk" can be used, but
the resulting handshake cannot involve a CertificateRequest, though a
post-handshake CertificateRequest is permitted.