terry, before my last spinal tap my blood pressure was 210 0ver 130, and the nurse said 'i guess you are nervous', because my previous tap was nightmarish. sounds like yours. my right thigh is still numb from the tap. . however, the last tap under a floroscope did not hurt at all, minor pressure like pressing your hands together. by using the xray they can tell exactly where to put the needle. i laid flat on my stomach and the floroscope was placed above my back. good luck. i hate the terror we live with--fear of the pain. sue