From: Kevin Wolfthal
To: Sandy Heidel;Tmic-list@eskimo.com
Sent: 2/25/2007 10:29:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] numb hand

My hands started getting numb a few years ago.  I've had an MRI of the thoracic
spine
which didn't show anything, another MRI of the cervical spine which showed "a
lot of arthritis",
in the words of the neurologist.  That neurologist also said that the arthritis
in my neck has
nothing to do with the numbness in my hands.  She did an EMG and said it showed
Carpal
Tunnel Syndrome in both hands, and Ulnar nerve damage in my right elbow.  I've
had
another EMG recently and was told that there is poor conductivity not just in
the nerves
in my hands, but other nerves coming from my neck.  The doctor doing that test
said
if I had surgery for the CTS, it might not help.  So I am supposed to get tests
for
hypothyroid, diabetes, and I don't know what else.  I am fed up with doctors,
their tests,
and their guessing.  Meanwhile I have trouble buttoning my shirt and tying my
shoelaces.

I was once told by a neurosurgeon that I had a ruptured disc in my neck.  I
asked him if
that could be causing the numbness in my feet.  He said:  "how could that be,
your neck
is up there and your feet are down there".  (This was before I had a dx of TM.)
 Now forgive
me but I think it;s true that if nerves are damaged in the neck, anything below
that level
can be affected.  But what do I know.

Kevin

Sandy Heidel wrote:
My TM lesions are in the C3 and C1. I have all kinds of numbness, tingling and
weird feelings in my hands. None of them are genuine. Things that should cause
pain do not and so on. But it may be a sign that you are having some lesion
activity higher up on your cord. I would call and make an appt and get an MRI.
They should use the contrast dye and it will make any active lesions light up.
Good luck and don't delay,
Sandy
In snowy, snowy Wisconsin.