    *From:* Kevin Wolfthal <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To: *Sandy Heidel
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;Tmic-list@eskimo.com
    <mailto:Tmic-list@eskimo.com>
    *Sent:* 2/25/2007 10:29:34 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [TMIC] numb hand

    My hands started getting numb a few years ago.  I've had an MRI of
    the thoracic spine
    which didn't show anything, another MRI of the cervical spine
    which showed "a lot of arthritis",
    in the words of the neurologist.  That neurologist also said that
    the arthritis in my neck has
    nothing to do with the numbness in my hands.  She did an EMG and
    said it showed Carpal
    Tunnel Syndrome in both hands, and Ulnar nerve damage in my right
    elbow.  I've had
    another EMG recently and was told that there is poor conductivity
    not just in the nerves
    in my hands, but other nerves coming from my neck.  The doctor
    doing that test said
    if I had surgery for the CTS, it might not help.  So I am supposed
    to get tests for
    hypothyroid, diabetes, and I don't know what else.  I am fed up
    with doctors, their tests,
    and their guessing.  Meanwhile I have trouble buttoning my shirt
    and tying my shoelaces.
    I was once told by a neurosurgeon that I had a ruptured disc in my
    neck.  I asked him if
    that could be causing the numbness in my feet.  He said:  "how
    could that be, your neck
    is up there and your feet are down there".  (This was before I had
    a dx of TM.)  Now forgive
    me but I think it;s true that if nerves are damaged in the neck,
    anything below that level
    can be affected.  But what do I know.

    Kevin

    Sandy Heidel wrote:
    My TM lesions are in the C3 and C1. I have all kinds of numbness,
    tingling and weird feelings in my hands. None of them are
    genuine. Things that should cause pain do not and so on. But it
    may be a sign that you are having some lesion activity higher up
    on your cord. I would call and make an appt and get an MRI. They
    should use the contrast dye and it will make any active lesions
light up. Good luck and don't delay,
    Sandy
    In snowy, snowy Wisconsin.