Larry,

Thank you for your kind thoughts.
I'm sorry that you suffer with pain also.  I find
that family and friends don't really 'get it' (what chronic pain means)
though they think they do.  But I don't blame
them, they try.

I take Effexor XR, an anti-depressant that I  think
is in the same family as Cymbalta.  Can't say
I've noticed much help.  I wanted to take Cymbalta,
but my doctor wasn't familiar with it.  My Mom takes
Cymbalta for depression, and it seems to help her
a bit.  Next time I see my PCP I'll ask him to switch
me to Cymbalta.

Take care,
Kevin

Larry Throne wrote:

Regina & Kevin,

I am so sorry you guys are having to deal with so much pain. I wish I had an answer for you. I take cymbalta 120mg daily to "cope" with my pain and discomfort. As I recently shared with my doctor I don't feel like the cymbalta really does anything for the pain it just gives me enough "something" to live with it all. It seems like the older I get, the more I hurt. There is no magic cure, especially for us folks with neuropathic pain. I took neurontin and even topamax off and on over the years. They helped for a while but after several years they seem to just not cut it anymore. I gave up on doctors helping with the pain. I have worked with doctors for many years and one of them who is a close friend told me the problem is that other than Rx a bunch of narcotics most doctors hate to hear about pain. If they can't fix it they don't want to hear about it. I can't take the narcotics any more due to dependency problems and besides, they really didn't stop the pain. They just made me loaded to the point I didn't really care about anything. I do have to say that bio-feed back helped some. It really only helped me learn to relax and I'm not sure it does anything about the pain. When I am hurting I get so tense and that leads to irritability, sleepless nights and depression. I know this sounds pretty negative but what I have found is that as the days go by, and I look back. I realize I survived, I made it, I'm okay. I still hurt but I'm okay. And as the old saying goes, "God won't give you more than you can handle, I just wish he didn't think I can handle so much!" Hang in there, this to shall pass! Keep being vigilant with the doctors to ensure there is not something they can do but hold on, life is really worth it.

Larry in Oklahoma where I feel you pain my friends and I wish I could help.