Keep after them Kevin.  You will win one way or the other by the sound of
things.

Heather in Calgary
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Wolfthal
  To: Tmic-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [TMIC] OT OT: Parking Update

  Update to my parking situation:

  I wrote a letter to my board, very calmly requesting they accomodate me by
  giving me an off-street parking space closer to the entrance to the building,
  (which is non-handicapped acessible, but still the closest way in and out of
  this building).  The board member didn't want to take the letter and tried to
  hand it back to me.  I wouldn't take it back.  That was last Friday.  He
  said the board was having a meeting and would discuss the issue.  The meeting
  was supposed to take place last night, I haven't heard anything yet.

  I called my town planning and zoning commission today and told them my
  situation.  Long story even longer, they told me that for the multi-unit
  building I live in there are supposed to be FOUR OFF-STREET HANDICAPPED
  PARKING SPACES CLOSEST TO A HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE
  ENTRANCE.  Anyone care to guess how many such spaces exist here?
  *******ZERO OFF-STREET HANDICAPPED SPACES!*********

  I told the woman from the zoning commission this and asked her how to
  go about getting these spaces put in.  She referred me to some information
  on their website which didn't load properly onto my computer.  I will be
  calling them again.

  I am waiting to hear what resulted from the board's meeting last night before
  I proceed.

  Kevin

  Akua wrote:
      Dear Akua,

      I am sorry you have had to go through all that you have.  A cyber-friend
of mine who is from the
      UK told me that this kind of thing doesn't happen there.  There is
apparently a much more civil
      and moral treatment of those with disabilities there.  Your car is in
your own driveway and you
      are being hassled?

    Yes.

        As long as it isn't a danger to anyone, or blocking anyone's access, I
don't
      understand this.

    Neither do I... the driveway is  part of the lot, is offf the street, is
part of my yard....

       Is it a fire issue?  I mean if heaven forbid a fire engine had to get to
your house?

    The driveway is at the back side. There is a front walkway.... in other
words more than one way to access the house.

      I have contacted several agencies already, and it is amazing just how
little help there is out there,
      in my state anyway.  The one exception has been the Fair Housing
Association.  They have at
      least helped me get my car into an off-street space, and are continuing
to help me.

    Delighted to hear that you have had some help but YES there is shockingly
little help or grace....
    I just never needed any assistance before and didn't know how incredibly
lucky and independent i was...

      I will take this to court if that's what it takes.

      All the best,
      Kevin

    Wishing you success and peace,
    Akua