HI,   A year before I was hit with  TM(9/05) I had orthroscopic knee surgery.
 I had torn part of the miniscus  from so many years of playing tennis.  The
surgery helped a little but I  did alot of PT and was back on the tennis court
in 6 mos.
        Fast forward a year and there I was on the golf course when I felt
like I  stepped on a live wire.  It took me 6 mos to get to a walker and now am
in  a power chair and use a walker at times.
        Anyhow,  in the course of my intensive therapy I hurt my knee again
and it hasnt been the same since.  It is a combination of arthritis,  overuse,
bad hip movement, etc.  This  is in my stronger leg.  So  I have a strong leg
with knee pain.  Havent gone to an orthopedist because  he will tell me to
have surgery or do therapy - which I have been doing for the  past 3 years.
        I find heat is the best and some advil when it flares up.  I stay
away from certain exercises (leg press, etc.) which hurts my knee.  I  havent
found icy hot compresses to do me any good as it irritates my  skin.
        All joints affect each other and sometimes when one is weak like my
hips  the knee is doing more work.
        There are a few exercises you can do which are easy to do at home if
you  cant get to a gym.   Ask a therapist or look them up  online.
        Hope this helps.   Rosalie