Actually, an indwelling catheter should be a last resort. They create more infection since bacteria sets up a home on the catheter and they never fully drain the bladder (since the catheter opening sits over the balloon). Also, using an in-and-out catheter allows the bladder to expand and deflate naturally where with the foley, it doesn't do this, which can lead to further problems.

Maybe a different polity, but the neuro-urologists here are hightly against it if it can be avoided in any way. Believe me, when it started, it was the first thing I asked...but they prefer the botox route in my case. I see the neuro-urologist at the end of May and we'll probably be setting up the appointment for the procedure then. I know he's all for it since he's the one who interpreted my urodynamics study and suggested it in the first place (on the report).

Laura
  "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do
nothing for him." -James D. Miles-
http://www.bananga.com ...empowering ourselves! Buying a used wheelchair? BUYER
BEWARE!!!

On Practical-Homeschooling: 10 Free or Inexpensive Homeschool Options
http://www.practical-homeschooling.org