Some of you may recall that I was the drummer  with a group called the
"Edsels" in the late 50's. We recorded a song called  Rama Lama Ding Dong.
Anyway, I was talkin with Harry Green (2nd Tenor), and  Marshall Sewel (Bass)
the
other night, and we discussed George (Wydell) Jones  who passed away two
years ago. George was the lead singer with us. Marshall  asked what was wrong
with me using a cane, so I told him. He asked if that was  anything like
Polio and I told him the difference, and started complaining. He  said, "Ya
know, Doc Had Polio". Doc who I asked. He said Doc Pomus who's real  name was
Jerome Felder. I never met him but Marshall had so he related this  story.
Doc contracted Polio as a child way back and in his early years, and  was
confined to a wheel chair. It seems he and his wife were at an awards  ceremony
where Doc was watching his wife dance with other guys that they of  course
knew, so Doc penned a song for her as he watched called "Save the last  dance
for me". If anyone here is old enough, the Drifters recorded that back in
the early 60's. Check out the Drifters on You Tube, click on save the last
dance  for me, and listen to the words. Just goes to show what you can do if
you set  your mind to it. He wrote a ton of other hits also, but this one
especially hit  home with me. Something I never knew before. I guess we never
stop  learning.