From: bgunny7...@aol.com [mailto:bgunny7...@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:22 PM
To: Tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [TMIC] Save the last dance

   Some of you may recall that I was the drummer with a group called the
"Edsels" in the late 50's. We recorded a song called Rama Lama Ding Dong.
Anyway, I was talkin with Harry Green (2nd Tenor), and Marshall Sewel (Bass)
the other night, and we discussed George (Wydell) Jones who passed away two
years ago. George was the lead singer with us. Marshall asked what was wrong
with me using a cane, so I told him. He asked if that was anything like
Polio and I told him the difference, and started complaining. He said, "Ya
know, Doc Had Polio". Doc who I asked. He said Doc Pomus who's real name was
Jerome Felder. I never met him but Marshall had so he related this story.
Doc contracted Polio as a child way back and in his early years, and was
confined to a wheel chair. It seems he and his wife were at an awards
ceremony where Doc was watching his wife dance with other guys that they of
course knew, so Doc penned a song for her as he watched called "Save the
last dance for me". If anyone here is old enough, the Drifters recorded that
back in the early 60's. Check out the Drifters on You Tube, click on save
the last dance for me, and listen to the words. Just goes to show what you
can do if you set your mind to it. He wrote a ton of other hits also, but
this one especially hit home with me. Something I never knew before. I guess
we never stop learning.