Hi,

To address questions from a few of you:

I am 55 for 10 more days.  I work in Human Resources at a State University
doing Excel macros, Word mail merges; oversee a document Imaging system among
other things.  I like my job; it gets me out of the house, keeps my brain
challenged and is really my only form of socializing these days.  I use a Roho
cushion on my chair, sit next to a window to help regulate temperature (they
just bought me a cooling vest to help), and I have a scooter for the afternoons
or all day if I’m having a bad day.  It is very tiring some days but I need to
pay the bills and most important have health insurance.  I can’t afford to pay
cobra for 2 years (1,600 a month) until I would be eligible for Medicare as a
disabled person.  I would really like to work an hour or two less a day but
that screws with my pension, social security and misc other things at the job.
It might come to that eventually, take it as it comes.

I got TM June 2008.  Had to learn how to walk again, I did, I still concentrate
on walking and especially steps to help add any improvement.  I use a cane, but
I bought a really beautiful Cocobolo wood cane so I love using it and I think
people see the beauty of the wood not a handicapped person.  I sleep really
long and late on the weekends; my husband does 98% of the cooking, laundry and
cleaning so that really helps me be able to work.  If I didn’t have him there
is no way I could work full time or any time.  I know I should take better care
to get more sleep, stretch, etc but I actually exercise at work by just going
to the bathroom or lunchroom as they are very far from my desk.  When at home I
really don’t walk far at all.

I use my phone for a calendar and notes, although the sticky notes around the
house is good as my phone is off or in bedroom when home.  I did get a tablet
for work so I can organize all my notes etc. for each project.  I feel kind of
silly when I can’t remember things when speaking with others.  Now I will have
it all in one place that I can look up quickly, of course I still have to
finish figuring out how to organize it to be useful.  What is a Rituxan
treatment?  If you have new lesions, do you also have MS like I do, I thought
for the most part TM was a one hit event.

My husband is great about reading the emails.  As he does most of the house
stuff I know he would eventually get a little resentful as most humans would.
The emails seem to keep it in his mind what I am going through.  The important
part is, it is not always me trying to explain it, which I think naturally
loses effect after a while.  If you can get your family or friends to read a
few of these emails (the ones that show others have same problems as you) I
think it could help a lot.  I have also sent out my own email to friends and
family on occasion as an update of my life (kind of like what some people put
in xmas cards) except it’s not xmas.  It helps do exactly what Iris said, it’s
not for them to feel sorry for us - just understand why we are not up for many
of the activities we previously took for granted.  It was weird; a few days ago
I was watching 3 different people walking down the hall at work.  I thought,
look, they have no idea how great it is to do such a simple thing and not even
have to think about how to do it.  I wasn’t mad, it just amazes me how much we
all take for granted until something happens to you.

I have had one real exasperation where I needed steroids, although I had many
maybe I overdid it and that’s why my symptoms are so bad.  Being an always on
the go person before TM it is just ridiculous to me what over doing it is.
Since I got TM/MS I wondered how you would know the difference between over
doing, an urinary tract infection (have had my share) or a real
relapse/exasperation.  Now I know, which is kind of good in a sad way.

Hope I covered it all.  Thank you for caring and being out there to talk to.  I
agree that this site was better before people left for facebook.  I have no
time for facebook but I’m sure it’s great for those at home, it’s more like
having a personal real time conversation, but I do miss the larger quantity of
emails here.  Sometimes I don’t read these emails for five days, but when I’m
ready they are waiting for me.

Make it a great day,

Deb