My brother;

Who lives in Connecticut and has contracted Lyme disease three times,
clearly recalls my getting a tick bite and seeing the tell-tale bull's eye
reaction at the bite site on the back of my leg, typical of Lyme disease.  I
became sick, but lacking any medical insurance didn't do anything about it,
and eventually got better on my own.

Then, years later, I contract slow-onset TM, get very sick, then mostly
recover, with the exception of getting seizures due to an "anomaly" on the
brainstem; plus the usual constant aches, bee-sting pains all over, fatigue
and weakness.  I take pregabelin, gabapentin, prozac, and dilation for
seizures.

My brother is convinced that the TM was caused by the latent effects of
in-dwelling Lyme bacteria, and I am partially convinced by his point of
view; partially, because it was in the Middle East--that caldron of
diseases--where I caught, and was diagnosed as having, TM.  It was likely a
contributing factor that could have increased the likelihood of getting TM
in the first place, and also likely changed the nature of my symptoms.  That
is, I could have gotten some other bug which, when combined with the Lyme
disease bacteria, led to developing TM (or also could have been MS, for that
matter).

It's getting tricky out there, with a host of new diseases that I cause
on-going infections only partially treated successfully at the time, but I
believe increases the likelihood later on of getting something a lot more
serious like MS, TM, or even that killer ALS.

Dalton Garis
Flushing, Queens
New York, USA