There are a number of places you can create a new window in tmux and the
difficulty is that several of these don't have an obvious parent or have
a choice of parents.

We have typically chosen - with a few exceptions - to try and make tmux
create all windows with the same environment no matter how they are
started. This means things are mostly consistent. We might change this
but it'll need some thought.

The problem for you is that tmux is starting all your shells with the
same termios and you are promptly changing it in some shell startup
file. But when you run a command directly your shell, which I guess is
probably bash, decides it is noninteractive and doesn't run your startup
files.

You will have the same problem if you do, for example, xterm -e "vim".

The easiest solution is to run "stty -ixon; vim" or you could look at
BASH_ENV which is apparently also evaluated for noninteractive
shells. You'll need to make sure BASH_ENV ends up in the tmux global
environment (either it's in your environment at server start or you set
it explicitly with tmux setenv -g).