I'm still not wild about this, it seems that cat should be fine, it doesn't use
much memory. If you are logging every pane perhaps we need a better way to log
stuff than running pipe-pane in every one.

-------- Original message --------
From: J Raynor <jxray...@gmail.com>
Date: 27/07/2013  22:13  (GMT+00:00)
To: tmux-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: patch allowing pipe-pane to write directly to a file

I use pipe-pane to capture the output of my sessions, but I would
prefer not to have to spawn external processes to do so.  I've
attached a patch that enables pipe-pane to write directly to a file.
I realize the semantics are a little off;  you pipe to processes, not
files.  But it's close.

Doing "pipe-pane -f  filename" will send the output to filename,
creating it if it doesn't exist, and truncating it if it does.  Doing
"pipe-pane -f -a filename" will append to the file instead of
truncating.  The -o functionality works the same as with processes,
but if you don't use the -a flag the file will get truncated every
time you toggle.

The functionality requires libevent2, so it won't work if you've got
libevent1, though it should still compile.