I've attached a new patch that implements logging without adding a new
command and without touching pipe-pane.

There's a window option called logging-default-logname that's set to
"~/tmux-#S-#I-#P.log" by default.  That's what name logfiles will get
when they get created.  I mainly needed a string that would help me
see that status_replace() was working correctly.  If you'd prefer
something else (you mentioned #{pane_id}), go ahead and change it.

There's also a window option called logging-autolog.  It's off by default.

If you "set logging-autolog 1", then all panes in the window will
begin logging, and any new panes in the window will log automatically.

If you "set logging-autolog 0", then all panes in the window will stop
logging, and any new panes in the window will not log.

If you "set -g logging-autolog 1", then all panes in all windows in
all sessions will begin logging, and any new panes will log
automatically.

If you "set -g logging-autolog 0", then all panes in all windows in
all sessions will stop logging, and any new panes will not log.

When you set most options, there's just an update to the options
table.  But for "automatic-rename" an action is carried out.  I used
the same idea for doing the logging.