on 1/5/2001 2:50 PM, "Paulo Gaspar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, that sure is part of many postings we see at the User lists.
> But the fact is that there are still to many beginner/configuration
> questions popping up that have no answer in any documentation.

Then write a FAQ and point people to it.

> It is a pity if the newbies are supposed to dig mail archives for
> ages when it would take much less energy to have placed those once
> written specs on the distribution.

Great. As Nike says: Just Do it.

> I have already seen on several Open Source products mailing lists,
> references to specifications written and approved before I signed
> those lists. And then (surprise, surprise!) I am not able to find
> them. Neither together with the distribution nor on the product's
> site.

What does that have to do with this project?

> It is a mystery to me what happens to those things!

Search the archives of the lists or ask the project leaders.

> Again, I am talking about reasonable documentation for people that
> want to learn and not about the unprecedented miracle of turning
> lazy dumb asses into geeks.
>
> Anyway, Open Source projects are very "green" about that: electronic
> documentation only!
> =:o)

What is reasonable to one is not reasonable to another. For example, reading
the source code is more than reasonable to me, but might not be as
reasonable to a newbie. The question then becomes: "Where do you draw the
line?"

My point being that you don't even have a piece of chalk to draw the line
with. :-)

> LOL
> Not so much effort to write the paragraph.

Not so much effort to write documentation.

> Anyway, the fact is that I still do not understand Tomcat well enough
> to do such thing. I'm getting there, but I still do not understand a
> couple of details - in any of the things I do with it.

Then ask on the list so that it is archived and people can look it up. Take
the responses and turn them into documentation.

-jon